4 hours of Basic Handgun Safety & Shooting
- Safe Start is a response to the public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers. This 8 hour introductory course is for the individual who is unfamiliar with firearms procedures or who needs to develop safe firearm-handling skills and a solid foundation of basic shooting skills. Students will learn the basic fundamentals of shooting and how to achieve accuracy.
When: July 14th, 2019 (#190714SS)
Start 08:00 - 12:00 End
Ammunition: Approx. 150 rounds
Where: A Place to Shoot Range - Santa Clarita, CA *
33951 San Francisquito Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91390
*There is a mandatory $17 range fee payable to the range on the day of the training.
The program is designed to provide a quick hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to various pistol action types (semi-auto, revolver).
Open to ALL
This (6 hrs) one day training will be held entirely on the live-fire range.
Lou Salseda Explains
The Director of Training, Lou Salseda explains TAC-1 approach to firearms training and how Safe Start can help you start with the right foot forward. TAC-1's approach is simple: Safe, Effective & Efficient (S.E.E.)
The following technique and concepts will be introduced at a reasonable pace for the maximum retention.
Safety and the Law
These concepts are instructed in classroom format
4 Basic Firearms Safety Rules
Type of guns and Nomenclature
Home Safety & Transporting Firearms
Brief CA Law regarding possession, storage and transporting firearms
Brief overview of Use of Deadly Force in CA
Care & Cleaning
Ammunition (function, available calibers, storage, etc)
Handgun Practical Application
Students are introduced to safe handling of their weapon and familiarization of marksmanship is given in a hands on application
Firearms Nomenclature and Function (DA/SA Semi-auto & Revolver)
Elements of Marksmanship
Loading & Unloading
Shooting & Accuracy
Pistol Shooting Errors Pistol Shooting Errors
Live fire qualification
- Semi Auto Pistol (9mm, 40 cal., 45 cal.) - Rental Available
- Ammunition (Students must bring 200 rounds)
- Dummy Rounds (5 minimum) - Also Available onsite
- Eye protection (Prefer clear with no color or slight tint)
- Ear protection (both outer and inner protections are recommended)
- Cap or Hat (highly recommended)
- Appropriate attire for weather & flying hot brass
- Marking Pen (Sharpies)
- Water and snacks (also available on-site for purchase)
- Gun bag/case to store and transport firearms
- Folding Chair for your comfort*
**Upon registration, students are provided with a Discount Code courtesy of LA Police Gear for all of their shopping need.